Monday, January 9, 2012

"I'll Make a Man Out of You"

The other day I was listening to “I’ll make a man out of you” from Mulan. So for my first media post, I thought I would do a slightly cheesy analysis of this well-known Disney song. I thought it was interesting because the song is basically making some underlying assumptions about what it takes to “be a man.” The chorus outlines some supposed requirements: 


"You must be swift as the coursing river, with all the force of the great typhoon, with all the strength of a raging fire, mysterious as the dark side of the moon.”
These are very stereotypical views on manhood.  To me, "swift as a coursing river" suggests individualism and dominance (a strong current of a river does not wait for others, but tramples them in insisting the right of way). "With all the force of the great typhoon" suggests that men must use "force" to maintain their power, and "typhoon" makes me think of anger/rage as does "raging fire." The last part of the chorus seems to suggest that men need to guard against vulnerability and self-disclosure (they must not be understood). All of these things may be fine when talking about soldiers going to war, but these characteristics do NOT work when it comes to relationships. It's not consistent with the gospel perspective in D&C 121 that tells priesthood holders that "force" not only does not contribute to one's manhood, but it actually subtracts from it. Whenever we "exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon" people, we lose our presiding power, and are left to ourselves. Gentleness, meekness, long-suffering, patience and love is the source of true power. How interesting is that? This view stands in stark contrast to the messages that popular culture and media are sending to men about what it really takes to be a man. So ya, I guess Disney's Mulan doesn't exactly hold true to this, but still, I love the song!

2 comments:

  1. I totally love this song too! But I have to admit, even with the many many times I've heard it I've never really thought of all these underlying assumptions. It's kind of interesting that not only do we blindly let the media spoon feed us these kinds of messages, but we love it! We eat it up! And then wonder when the days of chivalry and perfect gentlemen died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I totally love this song! But I use it in my adolescent class as an example of gender stereotyping in the media! So you are right on the mark here! :) Good think Mulan herself is a great example of a Counter-stereotype! Love her!

    ReplyDelete