Saturday, February 4, 2012
messages of music
I’ve also been thinking about the power of music to influence the way that we think about our relationships. A lot of popular love songs out there are catchy, but when I really stop to analyze the subliminal messages in them, I realize that it isn’t really promoting true love, but glorifying selfishness and personal gratification. Because it’s not blatant, it’s really good at making us think that this kind of attitude is linked to perfectly successful relationships. I think this can be harmful. For example, some of the Backstreet Boys songs could be classified under this, if you really look close at the lyrics (i.e. “I want way”) – not that they are bad or anything, but I just think that it’s interesting. whereas “Be That Friend,” or “Aint no Mountain High” are both very altruistic and promotes a feeling of commitment without selfish motives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting. I hadn't really thought about it that much, but you're right. I think it can give false expectations in relationships. Relationships should be about giving, not taking.
ReplyDelete